Development

Trailblazers: It’s the concerted effort to search for alternatives as well as
the improvement and creation of recycling methods
that makes SOEX such a unique player in the industry.

Pioneer thinking: SOEX developing and implementing recycling methods for extracting secondary raw materials with the goal of upholding our ‘zero waste’ philosophy to the greatest extent possible.

That’s why SOEX works together with partners in the textile industry and elsewhere towards creating a future in which resources are no longer wasted and raw material extraction, production and recycling are sustainably and economically intertwined.

Shoe recycling

More than 20 billion pairs of shoes were produced worldwide in 2015. However, according to the most recent data, no more than 5% of all used shoes around the world are collected and recycled (source: Recycling International).

Our facility in Wolfen, Germany, receives more than 50,000 pairs – or around 27 tons – of used shoes every day. Around 83% of these shoes are in good enough condition to be worn again. The remaining 17% need to be disposed of properly, which becomes quite costly for SOEX. This is both unviable from both an environmental and economical standpoint.

To offset the environmental and financial burden, SOEX therefore worked with various partners to develop a shoe recycling facility. This allows us to extract the individual materials (particularly rubber, leather and textiles) from used and unwearable shoes and to reuse it as secondary raw materials.

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions about the use of individual secondary raw materials, would like to know the technical specifications or if you would like to request samples!

More information can be found at www.footwear-recycling.com

RESYNTEX

RESYNTEX is a SOEX-directed research project sponsored by the European Union with nearly nine million euros in funding. The goal of the project is to develop a new circular economy concept for the textile and chemical industries by producing biochemical secondary raw materials from currently unrecyclable textile waste.


Goals:

  • A complete value chain – from textile waste collection to the production of new raw materials for the textile and chemical industries
  • Improved collection methods by raising public awareness for used textiles
  • Traceability of textile waste and evaluation of new value chains using comprehensive data aggregation methods
  • Development of innovative business models using synergies between the textile and chemical industries
  • Pilot project of a complete biochemical reprocessing line for basic textile components, including waste treatment


Consortium

RESYNTEX is a cooperative project consisting of 20 partners from ten different EU member states. The partners include industrial associations, companies, SMEs and research institutes. The group is working together to develop an effective model for the entire value chain.

More information can be found at http://www.resyntex.eu/ or by contacting info@resyntex.eu.